Coming off our recent picture in Virtuoso Traveler Magazine (“The Wellness Issue”), we have wellness travel on the brain. So, that got us thinking…what are some good resorts to get your wellness on? Where can you unwind while also working on your health & wellness?
Our 4 recommendations focus on both body & mind, designed to leave you feeling refreshed & renewed. As such, they tend to recommend stays of at least 4 nights to a week. Most of these are also Virtuoso properties. So, if you’re interested in learning more, check them out via our Hotel Booking Tool. Or, just reach out to us for more info!
1. Golden Door in San Marcos, CA
As in the name, there’s a golden (colored) door to the entrance of this legendary wellness spa (spoiler, it’s actually brass!)
- Get Fit: The resort boasts miles of hiking trails among its 600 acres of nature. It also offers classes and personal training.
- Refresh: Daily massages and skin care sessions are part of the package. And, a 4:1 staff to guest ratio ensures that all of your needs are met through the duration of your stay.
- Eat: Enjoy farm-to-table cuisine that incorporates produce grown on the property. Chefs are inspired by what is harvested each day, creating innovative culinary experiences as part of a meal plan that reflects your dietary needs and preferences
- Stay: Its 40 single-occupancy Japanese-style rooms are simple but stunning. All have a sliding door to the surrounding Japanese gardens. And, no need to worry about hauling luggage; they provide nearly everything you’ll need during your stay there.
- Book: As of writing, their fully-inclusive rate for a 7-Night Stay is $9650; while they offer a complete program during your stay, you can add more to it if you’d like (for an additional cost).
2. BodyHoliday in St. Lucia
Want a little beach getaway with your wellness vacation? Their slogan: “Give us your body for a week, and we’ll give you back your mind.”
- Get Fit: Customize your schedule from their extensive list of activities, fitness classes, and sports programs – including both land and water activities. They also have “theme months” that focus on specific things like yoga, swim, families, etc.
- Refresh: Of course, there’s the secluded cove of beach, which makes relaxing ideal. You’ll also receive complimentary daily spa treatments at the Wellness Centre, one of the world’s finest destination spas.
- Eat: The 5 restaurants and 3 bars are all-inclusive, including a new sushi bar. Dietary restrictions? No problem – you can share all of that info ahead of time, so you don’t have to worry about it when you arrive.
- Stay: A recent multi-million-dollar renovation refreshed their guest rooms, which are designed as private sanctuaries. In-room tablets ensure that all info is at your fingertips and your needs are met. Or, try their 4-bedroom Villa Firefly – ideal for groups or families.
- Book: A week is recommended, but shorter stays are an option. Rates are all-inclusive, with options to customize/add experiences for an additional fee.
3. Lake Austin Spa Resort in Austin, Texas
An award-winning spa with the warmth of a friend’s lake house.
- Get Fit: This resort boasts a lengthy menu of daily activities – from fitness classes and yoga to outdoor experiences. Private sessions are also available. You can also enjoy activities on the lake, from kayaking to hydro-biking, with all equipment provided.
- Refresh: Try 3 pools and poolside cabanas for some time in the sun. But the star of the resort is its award-winning 25,000 sq.-ft. LakeHouse Spa, offering 100 treatment options to fit your needs and desires. You’ll also have the opportunity for learning while there, with a regular roster of guest speakers and chefs.
- Eat: There’s one main dining room where cuisine possesses both French influences & local inspiration. The chef’s garden means fresh organic produce is a part of all meals, and locally procured meat, free-range poultry and fish fill the seasonal menus.
- Stay: Rooms have the rustic charm of Texas Hill Country, with lake or garden views and front porches, even some with hot tub patios.
- Book: All packages include your room, daily activities, and 3 meals daily. Book a Spa Refresher package for a daily spa credit to be included.
4. Miraval Resort in Austin, Texas
Brand new on the scene in Austin (previously the Travaasa Resort), akin to its sister property in Arizona. (Side note: a Miraval Berkshires property is also in the works!)
- Get Fit: Its 220 acres provide fitness classes, outdoor adventures, hiking, yoga, water sports, equine activities, and even farm activities.
- Refresh: As with other resorts, enjoy the spa with your daily credit. They also offer meditation and wellness counseling.
- Eat: All of your gourmet meals are included, supplied by the 10-acre Cypress Creek Organic Farm. Beyond meals, enjoy many culinary experiences ranging from learning about food types to prep. They had us at their “Appreciating Chocolate” session.
- Stay: Its 117 modern spa-inspired rooms are spread across 13 lodges. Some have balconies or outdoor showers, and many boast gorgeous nature views.
- Book: Its all-inclusive offering includes meals, non-alcoholic beverages, transport to/from the airport, and a credit to use for spa or private fitness sessions. It’s also a non-tipping resort, making your stay completely worry-free!