It’s not just for lovers.
We’ve all heard the saying “Paris is for Lovers” – and it is – but it’s not only for lovers. It’s also a wonderful place to take a girlfriends’ trip, as Unleashed recently did. So, following our recent visit, we decided to put together the Unleashed “Girlfriends’ Guide to Paris.”
Number of Days
3-4 days is probably perfect. Or, with so many river cruise options departing from Paris or nearby, it’s ideal for an extension before and/or after. We had days in the city both before and after our river cruise on U by Uniworld – to give us 4 days total. (For more on river cruises, see this blog).
Your Home Away from Home
Paris is comprised of different areas/districts called “arrondissements” – all assigned to a number, and as in any city, different areas have their own vibe. Where you choose to stay depends on the vibe you’re looking for; here’s our take on the areas we stayed. You may want to consider splitting your trip between different areas to get a feel for more of Paris.
- Want to be where all the action is? Think the 1st arrondissement (near tourist sites like the Louvre) or 8th (around the famous Avenue des Champs-Elysèes). We opted for the 8th arrondissement, with a stay at the luxurious Four Seasons George V. Stay tuned for our blog featuring this gorgeous property!
- Want more of a neighborhood feel? The 5th (Latin Quarter) or 6th (Saint Germain) may be for you! Unleashed really felt at home at the boutique Hotel Esprit Saint Germain, hidden away on a quiet little street. It’s within walking distance to so much of what you’ll want to see; it’s also surrounded by boutiques and art galleries. Again, stay tuned for more about this property in an upcoming blog.
These are just a couple of possibilities; of course, we have many other wonderful partners throughout Paris as alternative options.
Where To Go with Your Girlfriends in Paris
- Walk (or run) along the Seine (much of which is lined with walking paths and parks – and gorgeous views of course).
- Wind through the narrow streets lined with boutiques.
- Shop. There’s shopping for days – from renowned designers (Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Dior), to the more whimsical shops of Le Marais like Merci.
- Sample the many splendid epicurean specialties of Paris. Where to begin…macarons, crepes, chocolates, meringue, and of course, croissants. We fancied Angelina a few times for their chocolate delicacies. Two words: Drinking Chocolate.
- Take in the culture via museums (such as the Louvre, Musée d’Orsay, Musée Rodin). There’s a great Smithsonian Guide to the “must see” museums – but of course there are so many others. And, don’t miss the historical sites like Notre Dame, Sainte Chapelle, and nearby Versailles. Many of the cultural institutions are included in the Paris Museum Pass, which is great if you’re planning to take in a few.
- Enjoy the views – not only from the Eiffel Tower, but even better – of it! How spectacular is this view from the 56th floor of Tour Montparnasse – or, you can catch a great view from the top of Sacre Cœur in Montmartre, at the highest point of Paris.
- Immerse into the night scene. Take in a jazz show, cabaret, or (as we did) both! We had fantastic experiences at a few places recommended by locals (Boeuf sur le Toit, Duc des Lombards, and Le Paradis Latin). Of course, the scene is always changing, so don’t be afraid to ask the concierge (or your Uber driver!) what they recommend.
But Wait, There’s More!
One other option besides everything in Paris? London! It is so easily accessible from Paris via the Eurostar train – it’s just a couple of hours away. Why not take in two iconic cities in one trip? Stay tuned for our thoughts on spending a day in London in an upcoming blog.
There’s so much more to Paris than what we can possibly cover in one blog. So, reach out or comment if you’re interested in talking with us more about a visit to Paris. We’d love to help you plan your girlfriends’ (or lovers’) trip!