If you follow any travel publications or sites on social media, you’ve undoubtedly seen posts recently with their suggestions for where to go in 2019. To make some of those lists a little less daunting (some have upwards of 50 places!), we decided to create the Unleashed 2019 Travel List.
We would love to say that we’re going to all of the wonderful places on our 2019 travel list, but we aren’t that lucky. We have been fortunate enough to visit some of these, though! Hopefully some of you will be inspired to check out one or two out after reading!
Of course, we know that there are many, many wonderful places to visit. But, we couldn’t get out of hand, so we picked just 5 places for our 2019 travel list. All 5 are in alphabetical order below; picking them was hard enough, ranking them might be impossible!
- Why: Belize is a less touristy area of Central America, with a more Caribbean vibe than others. Unlike other parts of Central America, the official language is also English, which always makes things a little easier!
- What to do: If you’re into diving, checking out the world’s second largest coral reef is a must! If diving isn’t your thing, you can explore nearby islands and ancient Mayan ruins when you need a break from your resort.
- Where to stay: Royal Belize, an all-inclusive private island oasis! Includes five different villas, and a full staff. OR: Turtle Inn, a hideaway known for its rustic elegance and every imaginable indulgence. Just beyond your private deck, the white Caribbean sands dissolve into a clear-water world of unspoiled coral reefs.
- Why: While some characterized Egypt as unsafe in the past, there are fewer safety concerns these days, especially in the areas you’d be visiting as a tourist. See some of the world’s greatest sights and artifacts, including one of the Seven Wonders of the World: the Great Pyramid.
- What to do: It’s all about the sites and artifacts: the pyramids, Great Sphinx, the Valley of the Kings. In 2020, you can add the Grand Egyptian Museum to that list (though part will be open in 2019). It’s slated to be the largest archeological museum in the world and will include the full Tutankhamun collection.
- Where to stay: Cruise the Nile on an all-inclusive Uniworld boutique river cruise. The 12-day Splendors of Egypt and the Nile cruise allows you to experience the wonderful sites of Egypt and the Nile while only having to unpack once.
3. Grand Canyon
- Why: Not as exotic as some of the other places on our list. But, in 2019, it’s celebrating 100 years as a National Park!
- What to do: Its 100-year celebration means there are even more opportunities than usual. It’s a great place for a family vacation, and there’s something for everyone. You can: learn more about its history/the geology; take a hike along the rim or one of the many trails; test your fear of heights at the Skywalk; or, just go for a scenic drive.
- Where to stay: L’Auberge de Sedona, just two hours south of the Grand Canyon, it’s situated on the banks of Oak Creek in the heart of Sedona’s famed Red Rock country. It has a variety of cottages and room types to match your needs and personality.
- Why: Not as well known a destination until recently, there are a lot of new and exciting lodges to visit while on safari.
- What to do: A bit different than other areas of Africa that are frequented for safari, it is decidedly more desert. Particularly the Namib desert, with its sea of red sand. While animal populations may not be as dense, the scenery is spectacular.
- Where to stay: Shipwreck Lodge, designed around the mysterious shipwrecks that line Namibia’s Skeleton Coast, it’s a remote camp with all of the luxuries. Each of the 10 rooms resemble shipwrecks that line the beach. Game drive during the day, or enjoy time on the beach, sit atop the dunes at sunset.
5. Puerto Rico
- Why: Reborn and renewed since the devastation of Maria, Puerto Rico is open for tourists! Visiting means you get to not only enjoy the beauty of Puerto Rico, but also support in its rebuilding efforts.
- What to do: Enjoy some great beach time and soak up the rays. But, you can also enjoy some local culture by visiting Old San Juan. And, you can take an adventurous trip to the rain forest, which presents a whole host of opportunities for activities.
- Where to stay: Dorado Beach, a Ritz Carlton Reserve sanctuary, with a secluded location, exclusive amenities, and personalized service. Its remoteness, discreet individualized service and deep respect for the environment distinguish it from other ultra luxury resorts.
If any of these have inspired you, let us know how we can help to make your next adventure a reality. See our process to learn more about working with us, or our Hot List for some of the other places we love!
Also, we referenced several other lists to compile the Unleashed 2019 travel list. So, if you’re looking for even more inspiration, check them out.
Image Credits: Belize, Egypt, Grand Canyon: Wikimedia Commons; Puerto Rico: Virtuoso; Property photos: Virtuoso or property website